Cosmetics are always a high demand in the market; however some chemicals like Preservatives, Fragrances, Heavy Metals & Microplastics are hidden under the quick promises made by them. They always have a health hazard like Allergy, Dermatitis, Asthma Attacks, Migraine& some of them are Carcinogenic too.
A little help for you to identify those chemicals:
- Formaldehyde: A type of preservative, mainly used in Shampoo. It is easily absorbed through skin & can cause Skin Allergy & Cancer.
- Lead: This heavy metal is found in Lipstick, Eyeliner & Nail Color. Exposure to this chemical is linked to various health concerns like Reproductive, Immune & Nervous System Toxicity.
- Microbeads: Small bits of plastic used in Facial Scrubs, Face & Body Wash & Soaps. Ill impact on skin, soil & aquatic life.
- Oxybenzone: A chemical filter used in most Sunscreens. This chemical is absorbed thorough our skin in a significant amount. This can bring Biochemical or Cellular level changes and can be an Endocrine disruptor.
- Parabens: Most widely used Preservative in cosmetics & personal care products like Make Up, Body Wash, Deodorant, Facial Cleansers. Researches show that it can increase the risk of Breast Cancer.
- Polyethylene Glycols (PEG): A polyether compound. This is the base of various Skin Creams, Personal Lubricants & is used in a number of Toothpaste as dispersant.They are highly toxic to persons with damaged skins.
- Phthalates: Used in Cosmetics & Personal Care Products like Perfume, Hair Spray,Soap, Shampoo, Nail Polish & Skin Moisturizers. Researchers have listed it as a reasonable carcinogen.
- Propylene glycol: Commonly used as a skin conditioning agent in products like Moisturizers, Sunscreen, Makeup Products, Conditioners, Shampoo & Hair Sprays. It’s classified as a skin irritant causing Dermatitis.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS): How the bubble & foam is generated in Shampoo, Shower Gel & Facial Cleanser? Sodium Laureth Sulphate & Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, commonly known as SLS (a known carcinogen according to research) does that.
- Triclosan: An antibacterial chemical found in Toothpaste, Cosmetics and other products. It can contribute to an increased risk of Allergy development in Children.
Many ingredients among them are used for beauty purposes & to raise the self esteem. That’s very fine; however the consumers also should play a role to update their knowledge about various ingredients regularly.